Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Author Spotlight: Liana Brooks

Liana Brooks

Liana Brooks is a full time mom, part time author, who would rather slay dragons than budget the checkbook any day. Alas, Adventuring Hero is not a recognized course of study in American universities so Liana was forced to do the next best thing. She graduated college with a bachelor’s degree in marine biology, a husband, and no job prospects in her field. To fill the free time she started writing. Now her books are read all over the world (she says she’s big in Canada) and she’s free to explore the universe one page at a time.  

Q&A

If you could be best friends with another author (past or present), who would it be?

Oh, this is a tough one. I have so many author friends right now so let’s go with some dead ones. I would have loved to meet Tolkien. I grew up reading Tolkien and as much as I love his work I really wish I’d been his beta-reader for THE HOBBIT so I could tweak the ending a little. He kind of went through a Hamlet phase there. It was awkward. If Tolkien isn’t available I’d love to spend time with Shakespeare.

Do you have a favorite genre to write? How about to read?

I love writing sci-fi and futuristic stories. The perfectionist in me has a heart-attack if I can’t find all the details needed to write the time period accurately (and sometimes those facts are very hard to find), and plain contemporary always seems a little too bland. I read sci-fi (naturally), and I love Urban Fantasy to the point of obsession. I also sneak in fun romances of any genre and thrillers. If you write about spies, I want to read your book.

What is the most difficult part of writing?

Honestly? Making myself write. Once I start writing everything flows fairly easily (although I grumble on Twitter out of habit). But getting myself to set apart the time, losing the distractions, that’s hard for me. It’s why I bought Write or Die. The program makes obnoxious noises and screams at you if you stop writing. It’s perfect for rough drafts. J

How long does it take you to draft a novel? Tell us a bit about your writing process.

Longer than it should, and longer than it used to. I’ve done National Novel Writing Month (where you write 50,000 words in 30 days) several times and usually set a word count goal of 3000 words/day. That was very good for me, but as the kids got older and life got busier I found I don’t have 3-4 hours of writing time a day, I have 1 or So it takes me about three months to draft a novel and a year to edit it because I’ll send it to my critique partners for a month while I work on something different.


I call my writing style the Lazy Susan approach to writing. At any given moment I have three or four projects of different lengths in the works. A novel being polished, final edits for a novella, a rough draft for a short story, and if the one I’m working on leaves me stuck I spin the Lazy Susan and work on something else. It’s not the most efficient way of writing. It’s not nearly as focused as some other authors who will go from rough draft to final draft without ever looking at another plot, but it works for me. It means I don’t have weeks or months of not writing. I don’t spend my down time on a book puttering on the golf course. I spend it writing in another universe.











































EVEN VILLAINS GO TO THE MOVIES
Liana Brooks
114 pages
Publisher: Breathless Press
Publish date: Nov. 15th, 2013

Synopsis

When your mother is America’s Superhero Sweetheart and your daddy’s the Number One Super Villain, you grow up feeling a little conflicted.

Angela Smith has superpowers—nothing that will ever make her comic-book famous—but her ability to psychically sense and manipulate the emotions of people around her has drawn unwanted government attention. Forced to choose between her quiet life as a teacher under constant surveillance or the life of a rogue, she chooses the latter. She plans to hide out in sunny Los Angeles where being a blue-eyed blonde won’t make anyone bat a false eyelash.  

Silver screen star by day, superhero by night, Arktos is a triple-threat. He can fly, freeze anything, and see glimpses of the future, all of which he needs to keep the city of Los Angeles safe, but which does nothing for his social life. When a frightening vision of an explosion leads him to rescue a damsel in distress, he finds himself trading Shakespearean insults with a rogue.

Angela knows just how dangerous well-intentioned superheroes can be: one tried to kill her family when she was young. Arktos knows he should hand the rogue over to Company justice; it’s not safe for someone like her to be in the middle of a fight.

But they can’t seem to stay apart. And together, they just might be able to melt all the obstacles standing between true love for a hero and a villain.

No comments:

Post a Comment