Monday, May 7, 2012

A Monkey With a Stick


It's pretty obvious to me that my fatal flaw (besides being too beautiful and talented) is that I'm just a fickle filly. I don't mean to be capricious, but I have a certain lack of stick-to-it-iveness that I really detest. And it's time to find a way to break me free from this folly.

I admit it, I'm so easily distracted by pretty things: new ideas, flowers to plant, pictures to look at; that I have trouble following through with the actual projects that mean the most to me. Without an outside deadline, I could get lost wandering in the mist of countless lost days and weeks and months.

So how does someone like me, with such an obvious lack of willpower when it comes to time (and sweets), ever get anything done. I realize there are some things that work for me: I can sometimes respond to a good self-prescribed deadline, I like lists, and timers. But I've realized that I need to find a way to get back on track with the projects I'm working on and finally get some stuff done.

Any suggestions? I'm not opposed to hiring a monkey to stand over me with a stick.

12 comments:

  1. Then, by all means, hire that monkey with a stick. I get sidetracked by shiny objects, round things, the wall...I dig in like I'm killing snakes and do it til I drop. But before I'm finished, I'm off to another idea. Things have a way of stacking up in our minds.

    When I actually FINISHED my manuscript, no one was more surprised than I. Yet the query has me stopped dead in my tracks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I wish I COULD hire that monkey. Let me know if you hear of one looking for work :)
      Good luck with the querying. That is, by all means, the hardest part.

      Delete
  2. I totally envy your beauty and your talent :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are just too talented and creative! I get distracted a lot too mostly because I don't want to do things I need too so I find something else. The best thing I do, like you, is make lists of everything I need to do. Then I choose 3-5 of the most important things and do that in a day. I get too overwhelmed by a big list, but I can do 3 things. I also like to reward myself with reading a chapter in my book or eating a piece of chocolate when I accomplish something :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. and thank you for not having word verification on your blog :) it makes commenting so much nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe a friend could hold you accountable by checking in with you at set times to see if you've done what you were supposed to be doing. I used to do this with someone I met online, but I've since lost track of her. Still, I think an accountability partner could be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i would suggest making small goals--even as far as writing goes, setting a timer---that monkey is cute though:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Monkey's are always a favorite for me - but when all else fails, I look to others.

    It's hard to disappoint or let someone else down...so I ask those around me, to hold me accountable for whatever it is that needs to be done. Critique partners? Yep, we make weekly (sometimes monthly even) goals: whether it's getting a chapter read and critiqued or powering through 2,000 words before the weekend.

    Doesn't mean something shiny or pretty won't get in the way, believe me - but if I know someone else is waiting on me, I will do whatever it takes to get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your monkey is not a monkey. He's an ape!

    ReplyDelete