Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I'd Like to Thank the Academy



I love watching the Academy Awards!
Yes, a lot of it has to do with those amazing dresses, but mostly love the chance to daydream about what it would be like to work in the film industry. Did I mention yet that I’d like to be a: screenwriter… or an animator… or a costume designer… or a set designer…
I often come out of the movies certain that I’m going to switch careers. In the dark parking lot I can be found professing my love to this new passion. After seeing Tangled at Christmastime I was sure that I needed to be an animator. No really, this time I would do it. Sure, I’ve wanted to be an animator ever since we got Finding Nemo on DVD and I couldn’t stop watching the special features. But this time I was SERIOUS.
When I went to Alice in Wonderland I was so consumed with the costumes that I had trouble concentrating on the story. I mean, did you see that dress that Alice was wearing when she fell down the hole? What about the pale blue jacket she wore at the White Queen’s castle? Well certainly you noticed the pinking around the collar of the jacket that she wore in the last scene on the boat. (See what I mean?)
I’ve been begging friends and family for years to write a screenplay with me. If I have my way it will probably have something to do with time travel or alternate universes. But don’t get me wrong, I’m totally open to suggestion. Really! Call me and we’ll talk about it.
Sometimes over dinner I try to talk my kids into writing a movie with me. How fun would that be? I have it all envisioned, our family brainstorming ideas over lasagna, the brilliant plot twists that will pop into the kids’ minds as they brush their teeth before bed, the weekends spent around the kitchen table writing.
Well, it turns out that I’m really the only one that thinks this is a grand idea. Everyone else would rather  go skiing or make houses out of popsicle stick or practice the guitar or cut their toenails (really anything is preferable to writing a movie it seems).
Oh well…
I guess I won’t be picking out my Oscar gown any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment